On October 12, 1819, C. W. Welch was born near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He came to Fort Collins in 1874 and he conducted a general merchandise business. His very first business was in a rough, pine board building on the corner of College and Mountain and he called it the “corral.”
July 11, 1841 birthdate of William C. Stover (b. 1841). He established the Poudre Valley Bank and represented Larimer County as a delegate to the convention in 1875-76 that drew up the State Constitution.
Edward Melinger and Company opened the settlements first brewery in 1866 – 7 years before Joseph Coors opened his brewery in Golden, Colorado.
In 1870 the Blake House, 200 Jefferson Street, (facing south) was built by George G. Blake who served as one of the town’s early trustees for several terms. Mr. And Mrs. Blake’s daughter, Louella, married Joseph Mason, prominent pioneer in 1870. After his death Louella married Judge L.R. Rhoades.
Harry Conly was proprietor of the hotel in 1871. It had the traditional two front porches and was a large frame building. Across the street was the Old Grout building, which Mr. Mason and Major Asaph Allen built in 1865. The Blake House was one of the hotels that was torn down to make way for the Union Pacific.
On October 5, 1870 G.C. de St. Quentine was given permission to peddle goods in Larimer County, by action of the county commissioners. This was the first official record of the presence of traveling businessmen in the county.
Larimer County Express, the first newspaper in Fort Collins published by Joseph McClelland in began in 1873. The first issue was four pages long and included local business announcements, a few poems and a somewhat humorous column called Expressive. McClelland promised to print a newspaper “ever on the side of Right, Truth and Justice, a foe to all monopoly.”
Marcus Coon built Agricultural Hotel at the corner of West Mountain Avenue and Maston Street in 1873. This was a large frame hotel. It was later purchased by D.M. Harris in 1877 and he changed the name to the Commercial Hotel. He later moved it to the corner of Walnut Street and North College Avenue. After Mr. Harris became ill, Mr. Howard and his wife took charge of the hotel. Mrs. Harris died in September 1904 and a group of Fort Collins men bought the hotel and built the Northern Hotel on the corner.
Harry Tutton established the first bank in Fort Collins in 1873. Panic sent Tutton to Denver where he had deposited surplus funds. He never returned. His bank remained closed and its affairs were afterward wound up. This failure absorbed most of the money in the county and wipe out the accumulations of a number of depositors of money they needed to tine them over until a crop could be raised.
Mrs. and Mrs. A. K. Yount constructed the first brick bank at Linden and Jefferson in 1874. They opened the Yount Bank and money at that time commanded 2% interest per month. Yount, a member of the constitutional convention in Denver, employed Charles Sheldon to manage the bank in his absence. Yount was accidentally killed in 1876 and Mrs.Yount took over and ran the bank after her husband’s death.
The town boasted four hotels in 1874 – The Agricultural on Mountain and Mason, The Collins House and the National on Jefferson Street and the Blake House.
Advertisement in the 1874 Fort Collins Standard – “Best set of teeth, $8. Dr. Drury, expert dentist and oral surgeon. Parlors, Opera House Block. Teeth extracted without pain by the use of nitrous oxide, gas, either, or chloroform. All operations are strictly 1st class.”
The Forks Hotel on Highway 287 at the Livermore Road was built by Robert O. Roberts who came to Fort Collins in 1874, on 160 acres of land he bought after operating the Fisk Hotel at Livermore.
Joseph S. McClelland, who founded the Larimer County Express, planted the first commercial orchard in northern Colorado at his farm on the north side of Fossil Creek south of Fort Collins in 1876. He gradually increased his planting to more than 100 acres and was growing of every kind of fruit suitable to the temperate zone, as well as nut trees and shade trees. His orchard was a real testing ground for the northern portion of the state.
Louis Dauth, a German Veteran of the Franco-Prussian War, opened a bakery on Linden Street in 1877 because he expected the town to prosper with its new railroad. He added new improvements to his bakery in 1878 including an icebox. A few years later he retired to Denver.
In 1878 Charles Sheldon (formerly with the Yount Bank) joined with William Stover to form the Stover and Sheldon Bank on the Wilson block on Jefferson. It had two common chairs, a pine table and a borrowed safe. In 1879 they started a new bank building next to the Parlor Drug Store. One of its best features was a Mosler & Bauman safe with a Yale time lock costing all of $800.
On June 29, 1878 Ansel Watrous and his partner Elmer Pelton, began printing the Fort Collins Courier. A Washington hand press and a small supply of printing materials that had been discarded by the Boulder Banner were used. Their motto was: “Home first, the world afterwards.”
On July 1, 1878, Mr. J. S. Cathers started running stages from Greeley to Livermore.
On September 14, 1878 Auntie Stone ran the Metropolitan Hotel until Bolivar S. Tedmon took the position. She left the hotel business after this stint.
On November 9, 1878 Mr. William C. Stover as president and Charles H. Sheldon as cashier, made history by establishing the Poudre Valley Bank, which, in 1905 became the Poudre Valley National Bank. They opened for business with a capital of $6,000.
On September 1, 1879 A.B. Tomlin & Co., a new mercantile firm was begun.
Bolivar S. Tedmon and his wife came to Fort Collins in 1878 and in 1879 he took over the management of the Metropolitan House from Auntie Stone who retired at the age of 78 from the hotel business. Mrs. Tedmon had a millinery shop on Linden where she trimmed hats and bonnets to order at short notice in the latest styles and at a reasonable cost. She also ordered goods, patterns and magazines from the East for the ladies in Fort Collins.
Charles Pennock homestead on the road between Bellvue and Horsetooth and planted many, many fruit trees in 1879.
The Loomis House at 405 Remington Street was built for Abner Loomis, a pioneer famed Fort Collins businessman in 1880. He also built the Linden Hotel and was president of the Poudre Valley Bank.
On January 15, 1880 Mr. W. W. Sullivan purchased an interest in the Fort Collins Courier. A new company was formed named Courier Publishing Company consisting of Ansel Watrous, E.M. Pelton and Mr. Sullivan.
Construction was begun on the Opera House block in the 100 block of North College Avenue, on a site owned by Jay H. Bouton in 1880. The three-story building included F.C. Avery’s Larimer County Bank, space for Welch’s new store and the Windsor Hotel, along with the Opera House. The opera house was built over street level shops. It had an entrance highlighted by stone pillars and arches. Frescoes and a drop curtain depicting a scene from Colorado’s San Juan Mountains decorated the interior. One third of the seats were inclined and there were four boxes on the east side. The beautiful 3-story building, which was ahead of its time, opened in 1881 to Fannie Louise Buckingham in the title role of Mazeppa. Some of the best troupes in the country occupied the stage of the opera house. It also served as a facility for high school graduations and for other local programs.
The Tedmon House, built and owned by Bolivar S. Tedmon, the pride of Fort Collins on Linden and Jefferson Street opened n May 20, 1880. The first three-story brick building in Fort Collins featured a ladies parlor, a barbershop, a bar, and a bathroom on every floor. Every room was connected to the office by an electric bell. An intercom system, which consisted of a speaking tube, was also placed in each room. Rates were $2 to $2.50 a day and the customers were given free shuttle service to the railroad depot. In 1909 the Union Pacific purchased land on which Tedmon stood. On August 21, 1909 the Tedmon House when out of business. Meal service stopped on the last day of July but roomers were accommodated an additional 3 weeks. The Tedmon hotel served as the office and temporary depot during the construction of the passenger station that Union Pacific was building. It was demolished in 1910 when the Northern Hotel made its appearance.
Mr. S.H. Seckner, a former native of New York owned a studio and photograph gallery at 216 Linden Street, having moved to Fort Collins around 1880. His studio was thoroughly equipped, had large and commodious workrooms, elegant reception room and was modern and first class in every respect. His wife and daughter ably assisted him. His specialty was photographing babies and his outdoor work was unsurpassed.
On September 20, 1880, E. M. Pelton retired from the Courier Publishing Company (established January 15, 1880). The paper was enlarged on Thanksgiving day 1880 to eight columns.
On April 5, 1881, Jacob Welsh erected a new hotel on College Avenue. He was also elected mayor, F.P. Stover (recorder), Charles Sheldon (treasurer), Jay Bouton, B.F. Hottell, B.S. Tedmon and Ansel Watrous were elected trustees in the town election.
On May 18, 1881 the Rustic House on the Upper Poudre opened. Built by S.S. Stewart, it was a log two-storied hotel. Mr. and Mrs. John McNabb took over the Rustic in 1885.
Dr. E. G. Bristol opened an office in the Old Grout Building On May 26, 1881.
On May 26, 1881 Theodore Vogel built a brick barbershop and bathrooms on College Avenue.
On July 18, 1881 Theodore Vogel completed a new barbershop on College Avenue next to the Cornucopia Restaurant.
Franklin Avery started Larimer County Bank in the Welch Building (later called the First National Bank of Fort Collins) in 1881. In 1898 the paper reported that the bank had “one of the best burglar-proof safes and fire-proof vaults.”
Burglars broke into the L.W. Welch and Company store on July 21, 1881 and made off with $4.
In January 1882 the Courier announced a new cigar business started by Carl Lauterbach opening in town. It was located in the Vandewark Block of Jefferson Street. Cost of the business, which officially opened on March 9, was $5,000. From 1882 to 1935, cigars in Fort Collins were manufactured by 3 different companies. Charles (Carl) Lauterback who came here from Zanesville, Ohio was the first. He located in the Vandewark Block on Jefferson Street.. The August 19, 1882 Fort Collins Courier stated that “Lauterbach has thoroughly canvassed the town and asserts that the amount of cigars sold here would give ample support to 25 workers and their families.” He obtained the best quality tobacco from the great tobacco mart at Baltimore.
Later Lauterbach moved his factory No. 138 to 210 Linden Street where the building still remains. He lived at 521 S. Howes. He retired in 1900 when James Swan and Laurence Nightingale took over the business. Schmidt set up his business west of Peter Anderson’s Mercantile Shop at 218 Walnut Street (where the Silver Grill is now located).
In the early 1900’s two other factors appeared – Otto Schmidt and Fred Watson. In 1906 Fred Watson came to Fort Collins and set up his shop on the 2nd floor of what is now the Carpenter’s Union at 429 E. Magnolia. He later moved to 131 S. College (Garwood Jewelers). He and his wife Myra lived in the back of the shop and employed 6 others. The cigars sold for 5 cents apiece. The tobacco was brought to town in 300 pound crates, the size of a refrigerator. In 1917 Watson had a wooden Indian posted outside of his building. Each night he had an employee carry the Indian in from the sidewalk because they feared that college students might steal it.
Fort Collins cigar factories closed down in 1940, unable to compete with the large factory-made cigars.
Old Grout, the third oldest building standing in Fort Collins, was torn down in 1882. Built by Joseph Mason and Company at Linden and Jefferson Streets in 1863, the building served as a sutler store. In 1875 it was sold to J.C. Mathews and A.H. Patterson who sold it to W.C. Stover and Co. It once served as the courthouse.
In 1882 Dr. Suela Clark, the local dentist placed an ad in the local paper to let his patients know that he had a new dental machine run by foot power; the dental point revolving at a great velocity. Excavating of the teeth could be done without the usual pain. Dr. Clark was a unique character who was considered a little off-color for the people in Fort Collins. Dr. Clark owned the very first bicycle in Fort Collins.
Abner Loomis and Charles B. Andrews built the Loomis Block at Walnut and Linden Streets in 1882. The second and third stories housed the Linden Hotel, the ground floor was occupied by the Poudre Valley Bank and the Fort Collins post office.
On March 9, 1882 Carl Lauterbach’s Cigar Factory opened for business. Ansel Watrous, editor of the Courier newspaper, outlined six reasons why Fort Collins’ smokers should purchase his cigars.
On May 30, 1882 Honorable L.R. Rhodes, sole owner of the Courier Publishing Company, who added a power press to the plant the previous month, commenced issuing a daily edition of the paper with George Caldwell as managing editor. H.F. Sturdevant, a partner, moved to Denver and Ansel Watrous purchased his interest. He discontinued the daily edition.
On October 7, 1882 Courier announced that “Mr. Carl Lauterbach of Collins Cigar Factory yesterday filled an order for 3,500 cigars from Idaho Springs.”
Hotels in Fort Collins in 1883 included the Windsor Hotel, Tedmon House, the Commercial Hotel and the Red Lion Inn.
On July 11, 1883 the Windsor Hotel was reopened with Burt Williams and T.J. Manley, proprietors.
On November 26, 1883 there was considerable excitement at Lindenmeier’s Saloon. Constable Sam Brainard was called to the place where he found Cal Mallaby waving two self-cocking Smith & Wesson revolvers. Under the influence of alcohol, he was angry with his brother who he claimed at greatly wronged him. He was pacified and went home to sleep it off. The next morning he appeared before Justice Gunn, feeling embarrassed at his conduct and promising to behave himself in the future. No fines were issued.
The Cornucopia started a bread wagon February 24, 1884 and they delivered warm, fresh bread daily to the residents of Fort Collins.
In 1884 John Zimmerman, a native of Switzerland, moved his family from a previous location at Cameron Pass to a cabin on the north side of Poudre Canyon, nearly opposite the later site of the Keystone Hotel, which he built. The area was also known as Zimmerman’s.
On March 16, 1884, Adrian Blackmer bought out N. Weaver and Company grocery store and operated it until his retirement.
On May 10, 1884 work was to commence on Jacob Welch’s building on Mountain Avenue, in the rear of the Windsor Hotel. The lot, which was 100 feet front by 155 feet deep, was to be enclosed by a substantial stone wall 15 feet high. A portion was to be covered with a roof and used as a storeroom. The remainder was to be used as a lumberyard. Mr. Welch planed to have a general stock of groceries, hardware and of course, lumber.
Early in 1884, two of Loveland’s earliest pioneers, Frank G. Bartholf and Edwin S. Allen, founded a partnership to erect Loveland’s first opera house. It was to be located on the site of Allen’s existing frame harness shop, built in 1878. This date in 1884 marked its formal opening on July 4th, which was celebrated by a grand ball.
G.T. Wilkins opened the Mountain Avenue skating rink on September 12, 1885.
The Linden (later Lindell) flour mill was destroyed by fire in 1886. It had been built in 1868 by Auntie Stone and Henry Clay Peterson. It was the second such mill to be built in northern Colorado. In the late 1860s the growing of wheat crops had greatly increased Larimer County as the result of irrigation, resulting in a growing demand for milling facilities.
The city’s first telephone system was constructed in 1887 to connect the city hall with the waterworks pumphouse for use in cases of fire, when greater water pressure would be needed.
The Miller Block at 162 Linden Street was built by Frank C. Miller, Sr. in 1888. The large stone building was designed to house Miller’s liquor store and the “Fair Store,” a dry goods business.
Construction of a creamery and cheese factory in Fort Collins proved an important source of income for farmers and workmen in 1888.
In 1889 the first bakery opened in Fort Collins by Albert Damm, a German immigrant.
The McHugh House at 202 Remington Street was completed in 1889 by Charles B. Andrews after it had been started in 1885 by Lars Kemoe, a stone mason. Andrews hired Montezuma Fuller, a builder and architect, to complete the structure. Two Fort Collins’ mayors – Dr. P.J. McHugh and Jesse Harris, later occupied it.
On September 8, 1892 Ms. Carrie Bolinger opened a dressmaking parlor west of Seckners.
On September 22, 1892 Albert Damm sold his bakery to Edwin Simon, who had recently moved to Fort Collins from St. Joseph, Missouri.
Charlie Clemens started a cream route for Fort Collins Creamery on September 22, 1892.
Rohling Brothers opened a store on October 6, 1892 in the Andrews Building.
Dr. J. W. Downey, a dental surgeon from Iowa, opened a dental office in Fort Collins on November 1, 1892.
January 5, 1893 John Havener formed a partnership with Peter Anderson in the ag implement business. It was to be known as Peter Anderson and Co.
On April 20, 1893 Frank Dastarac was probably Fort Collins’ first Interior Decorator and Fresco artist.
Bailey Cornwall opened a sample room for wines and liquors on Linden Street on June 8, 1893.
On July 13, 1893 the City Council granted a franchise to the Colorado Telephone Company to build a line connecting City Hall with the water works pump house for use in case of fire when greater pressure was required.
On October 26, 1893 W.C. Holmes, a Manhattan merchant, purchased the Forks Hotel from Mrs. Clara Denig. The Forks Hotel was built in 1875 at the fork of the road, which led to the north, and south fork of the Cache la Poudre River. It did a thriving business as it was on a direct line to Larimer, Wyoming.
In 1893 C.O. Hunter, jeweler and optician started his jewelry business. It was located on Mountain Avenue and occupied 1,500 square feet in a brick building. He had a fine display of plain and fancy jewelry, watches, diamonds, silverware, precious stones, clocks, novelties and optical goods. He was also an excellent watch repairman and had low prices! Mr. Hunter came to Fort Collins in 1893 from Boston, Massachusetts. He was a graduate of the optical college at Boston and was an old veteran of the civil war, serving under General Thomas. He was a member of the G.A.R. and I.O.O. F. He was also engaged extensively in mining in various parts of the state.
On January 11, 1894 Charles Dwyre opened a book binding business in the Commercial Block.
On March 15, 1894 Chris Mason opened an oyster and chophouse on Linden Street.
On June 26, 1894 Alderman Frank Miller was overhauling his fine sample room in the Miller Block on Linden Street, preparing for opening day. Opening day would consist of free lunches and entertainment. The Fort Collins express reported that “no wholesale and retail liquor establishment in northern Colorado carries a better or finer stock of wines and liquors for medicinal purposes than does Mr. Miller.
On June 29, 1894 shortly after noon, Charles Pennock’s icehouse was discovered to be on fire. The alarm was soon given and all hands fell to work. The fire was extinguished before a great deal of damage was done.
In October 1895 the Lindell flour mill burned down, again. Founded in 1867 by Mrs. Elizabeth Auntie Stone and Henry C. Peterson, the mill was rebuilt and sold five years later to Joseph Mason. This was Fort Collins only flour mill and the money loss was $125,000. This was the second time the mill had been destroyed, the first time being 1886. The Colorado Milling & Elevator Company owned it. Ansel Watrous stated that this date was “perhaps the darkest day of the entire decade when the Lindell Mill burned.” Presumed to be the work of arsonists, the Fort Collins Express stated, “if the fiend that set the fire was hanged, he would meet his just desserts.”
A three-story brick hotel was built by the Zimmermans in 1896. The family did most of the building themselves, even to making the bricks. There were 40 rooms. A great many easterners came and spent the entire summer. All of the Zimmermans were talented musicians and in the evenings they often formed an orchestra for the dances. This hotel was among the first summer resorts in the area to have running hot and cold water in the bedrooms and several bathrooms.
The First National Bank occupied its new quarters in 1897 in the Avery Block, a flat-iron shaped redstone building at the corner of North College Avenue and Linden Street. The building was designed by Montezuma Fuller.
On May 28, 1898 Dr. A. W. Killgore was appointed county physician for a salary of $100 per year.
On September 21, 1898 the Fort Collins Courier reported – “The Poudre Valley Bank is the name of a new institution that will soon be established in our midst under the controls and management of Honorable W. C. Stover and Charles H. Sheldon, two of Fort Collins’ most honorable, conservative and reliable businessmen. They will occupy the new building being erected for them on Linden Street.” The bank opened with a capital of $6,000.
H.C. Bradley came to Fort Collins in 1899. He was the proprietor of Bradley’s Studio located at No. 150 North College Avenue. He started his business in May 1999.
C.C. Bennett came to Fort Collins in 1899 but had been in the State of Colorado for 27 years up to that time. By trade he was a sign writer and “could write anything from a check on the Poudre Valley Bank to gold leaf on plate glass.” His place of business was at 240 Linden Street.
On January 14, 1899 the local papers published a few statistics about Larimer County products. The list mentioned that Larimer County had 150,000 pounds of butter. Keye’s Brothers, who owned and operated two creameries in this county, said that this total was terribly in error. They claimed that they marketed and manufactured three times that amount, to say nothing of the thousands of pounds from the ranches. The Keyes’ Brothers claimed these two sources alone would doubtless swell those figures to at least ten times the amount given by the local paper.
February 16, 1899 architect Montezuma Fuller completed plans and specifications for a building for Robert E. Trimble, to be erected on College Avenue south of Shield’s Tailor Shop.
On March 15, 1899 a large crowd of ladies attended the millinery opening of Mrs. Laura Trimble’s where they saw a fine array of the latest up-to-date hats, bonnets, ribbons, laces and flowers so dear to a woman’s heart.
On June 30, 1899 the First National Bank received a national Cannon-Breach, screw door burglarproof bank safe, having sold their old safe to the bank at Eaton. This new piece of furniture is one of the latest inventions and is said to be absolutely safe from the attacks of burglars, as the door is screwed in and then locked so that no possible cavity is left into which powder could be blown. It is also too thick to be drilled out in any way.
On January 24, 1900 Professor Melvin and his wife opened their dancing school at Loomis Hall and introduced new dances. On this date, the champion cake walkers of the state gave an exhibition walk.
Fort Collins’ Businessmen’s Credit Association was organized October 1, 1901. Dr. C.P. Miller was elected president.
On December 21, 1901 the First National Bank of Fort Collins celebrated the 20th anniversary of its founding, receiving from the Comptroller of the Currency an extension of its charter for another period of 20 years. The bank was founded in 1881, when Fort Collins had no more than 600 to 700 inhabitants. The prime movers were Edgar Avery, father of President Frank C. Avery, W.G. Bixby, Noah Bristol, I.W. Bennett and Bruce Johnson. The institution has had a most prosperous career. It had grown and broadened until its deposits were about $340,000. A remarkable fact was that the banks of Fort Collins were the only ones in the state who discount rate to everybody was no more than 8%. Another remarkable fact was that the present President Frank C. Avery had held the office since the bank was started.
In 1902 livery stables had not been replaced by automobile dealers, garages and gasoline station in Fort Collins. The 1902 city directory lists the Mansion stables at 302 Jefferson Street, the Sterick bar at 363 Jefferson and Mountain Avenue stables at 127 to 131 East Mountain Avenue. They were strategically located within walking distance of the Tedmon Hotel at Linden and Jefferson Streets so that travelers would have a place to leave their horses.
In 1902 Dr. Glover, Fort Collins’ Food Inspector requested that all bread baked in the local bakeries be wrapped. Damm’s Bakery and Confectionery at 133 South College boasted they were “the first bakery in the State of Colorado to wrap their bread.” They also claimed that they were the first to employ an automobile delivery service which, according to their ad, “does away with the filthy handling of lines by a careless driver.”
January 1, 1902 Mrs. M.W. Burns of Denver opened a massage and manicuring parlor at Mme. Eisenhour’s and was prepared to do ladies’ hairdressing in the most approved modern style.
January 1, 1902 the Wells-Fargo Express Office in Fort Collins had done a larger business than in all previous years, averaging about $250 per month more than the previous year. This was in spite of the fact that there was little or no fruit shipped out this year, owing its destruction by the hailstorms the previous May.
January 8, 1902 Dr. Gregg, who advocated proper diet, physical exercise and plenty of oxygen as both preventative and cure for human ailments, hung out his shingle as a sign that his office was over the Golden Rule. He advocated discarding all medicine and surplus food and depending on nature’s own remedies.
C.L. Boughton was the proprietor of the Commercial Billiard Parlor (located in the Commercial Hotel). His place was an excellent place for young men to engage in the game of billiards or pool.
January 8, 1902 L.R. Schaap and G.D. Pratt of Fort Collins opened up a second-hand store and bicycle shop in the VanBramer building.
January 8, 1902 Commercial Hotel dining room had been totally redecorated. The house was doing the largest business in its history. On New Year’s Eve guests found a carnation at their plate.
On January 15, 1902 the State Board of Health granted a certificate to practice embalming to Hubert F. Leonard of Loveland.
On March 8, 1902 Mrs. Whitton had her spring opening of fine millinery. The ladies of the city were treated to a rare display of all of the most beautiful creations in the line of hats and trimmings. She conducted an up-to-date millinery store at 161 Linden Street. She had a thorough knowledge of her business and her stock was always complete. Because of her stock, women did not have to go to Denver to look for spring bonnets. She was in the business for over 20 years.
On March 24, 1902 Fort Collins began to take on a new life. As evidence of a more rapid and substantial growth in population and business importance, a new daily edition of the Courier newspaper made its appearance and was received with much favor. At first it was a four-page paper with only local news service, but because of its success, within a few months it was enlarged to eight pages.
On March 26, 1902 A.W. Scott installed a new Lippincott soda fountain, gorgeous in onyx and nickel plate. It had all the latest improvements and cost set up about $2100.
The officers of the newly organized Estes Park Cottage Company (1902) were President, T.H. Robertson, Frank A. Somerville, secretary and treasurer Frank P. Stover. The capital stock was $50,000 and the object was to develop Estes Park as a resort (March 26, 1902).
On April 30, 1902 P.W. Buchanan of Loveland purchased the confectionery store next to the Loveland House from Mr. Hudson. Mr. Hudson in turn had invested his money in a half interest in a merry-go-round.
On May 5, 1902 the Larimer Light and Power Company was organized with a capital stock of $100,000. They were going to take over the business, plant, franchise, etc of the Fort Collins Electric Company. Irving Bonbright, Leonard E. Curtis and Franklin Brooks incorporated the company. The company had ordered a 100-horse power high-speed engine, a 200-kilowatt generator and a 40 kilowatt generator. The manager, E.C. Allen, gave assurances that a lower schedule of rates would be adopted provided the use of light increased sufficiently.
On May 7, 1902, Enos Mills purchased Longs Peak Hotel in Estes Park from E.J. Lamb.
On May 28, 1902 the Larimer County Fruit and Honey Association and Larimer County Marketing Association were consolidated under the name Larimer County Fruit, Honey and Marketing Association and their office was just north of the C & S passenger depot. The association was going to handle all kinds of fruit, honey and vegetables.
On July 30, 1902 F.B. Kerrick of Iowa purchased the Sanitary Steam Laundry from I.W. Trinder
In Loveland the Larimer County bank had broken ground on September 17, 1902 for the erection of an 80-foot addition to the north end of the present building. The new building was to be occupied by J.B. Bell for his undertaking rooms.
A.W. Scott had the handsomest National Cash Register ever seen in Fort Collins in November 1902. It costs about $450 and “could do almost anything but talk.”
On November 12, 1902 the ground was broken for the new sugarbeet factory in Fort Collins.
On September 27, 1902 C.A. Button had a contract from F.C. Avery to put a second story on the building occupied by the Golden Rule store. As planned, this second floor will have about 23 offices and a medium-sized lodge room. It will probably be heated with steam and the completed improvement will cost $10,000.
Beaty Brothers moving picture show made its appearance in Fort Collins in 1903. Their picture machine was the only one in existence, having a diamond lens and they guaranteed that there would be no quiver, shaking or blur to any of their pictures. They had an assortment of over 50,000 colored moving pictures, comic and otherwise.
In 1903 John William Lowe moved from Rock Port, Missouri to Fort Collins. He purchased on-half interest in the Tyler-Lowe Mercantile Company after selling his farm and adding an “e’ to his former name of Low. He designated James Evert (Dick) and Fount Lee to run the business. Tyler-Lowe went bankrupt in 1909.
January 7, 1903 a new sign, “Hotel and Feed Stable” stood out in front of Mr. Provost’s in Laporte.
February 4, 1903 Tucker’s Cafe, the new restaurant in the Masonic Temple opened for business at noon. Everything about the place was new and neat as a pin. Dinners were served at a cost of 15 cents to 5 dollars and short orders would be served at all hours. Meals included fish, oysters, game and fresh fruits in season.
On March 18, 1903 James J. Cooke, J.M.E. Cooke and George W. Cummer had organized the Fort Collins Pressed Brick Company with $35,000 capital stock.
On June 29, 1903 the new hospital at the corner of Remington and Magnolia Streets opened for business with Miss Milne of Boulder, as trained nurse in charge. Mrs. Ed McCulloch was to serve as the matron.
On July 1, 1903 W.J. Gray was hired as the new Wells-Fargo driver. He was to work 16 hours a day, seven days a week at a salary of $45 per month. The Fort Collins Express editor commented that “this does not seem to be very attractive.”
On March 25, 1903 W.R. Shields had recently installed an electrical goose. That is, his tailor’s goose was being heated with electricity instead of coal. Tucker the restaurant man was heating his coffee with electricity. Electrical flatirons were very handy. A woman could iron all day with a hot iron and never have to change it.
On August 28, 1903 Collins Cash Clothing Company celebrated its 11th year. They were going to give a way a $12 overcoat free. They were also offering a special 25% discount. The sale was to continue for two days.
On September 25, 1903 Mrs. George W. Moore opened her New York Toilette Parlors at 127 W. Mountain Avenue. The rooms were beautifully decorated with ferns and autumn leaves and a large number of Fort Collins ladies were present. Tea and wafers were served.
On October 28, 1903 a Chinese restaurant opened in Dr. McCarrolls’ building on Linden Street. It was formerly the Crescent Restaurant.
On November 4, 1903 the businessmen of Fort Collins generously contributed over $500 to help defray the expenses of the Athletic Council of the Agricultural College. The contributors included B.O. Aylesworth, F.P. Stover, Guy Loomis, and Dr. McKay Smith.
January 4, 1904 the new sugarbeet factory opened in Fort Collins with 60-70,000 tons of beets to work into sugar.
January 6, 1904, Charlotte M. Burton, Doctor of Osteopath, opened her doors at 218 West Olive. Dr. Burton was one of a few women doctors in the area.
January 7, 1904 Fort Collins’ citizens were urged to call up the Akin barn for a cab. They claimed that they were “always ready and delivery was quick.” You could go anywhere in the city for 50 cents. A good gentle team and careful driver were guaranteed.
On February 3, 1904 Architect Montezuma W. Fuller moved his new offices to the Avery Block. Albert Bryan, the Denver architect who designed the new public library, also moved into a room in the Avery block and was making arrangements for the opening of a permanent office in Fort Collins.
On February 28, 1904 F.D. Giddings, who started a machine shop here three years ago and had built up a first class trade, today sold a half interest to his brother, Claude Giddings. They will continue the business in the same satisfactory manner as before.
On March 30, 1904 the businessmen of Fort Collins subscribed toward supplementing the city street sprinkler service by another wagon, thus keeping the dust under control. Many felt this was a capital idea!
On May 9, 1904 a stove explosion at Gem Grocery burned off the beard and eyebrows of Myer Allam. A fresh coal had been thrown into the fire of the stove and it exploded in Allam’s face.
Mr. Cave and Conley began an ice wagon business One June 1, 1904, carrying pure artesian water ice for sale.
On June 1, 1904 Mr. Lawton, the popcorn man moved his location south of Bradley’s Gallery on South College Avenue. Mr. Lawton was a veteran of the Civil War and an invalid from the effects of a broken breastbone. The paper announced that he was worthy of patronage.
On July 20, 1904 Vandewark and Atherly opened a natatorium just north of the ice plant on Jefferson Street. It was an attractive pool with five feet of distilled water, which was kept there continually except on the days set apart for the children.
On July 20, 1904 McIntosh’s Collins Cash Grocery moved to the Schroeder grocery and baking building, 162 North College where patrons were cordially welcomed.
On July 27, 1904 a new 7-ton Frick refrigerating machine was added to the equipment at the Crystal Ice Plant. This gave the plant a capacity of 12 tons of artificial ice per day. Fort Collins people were using 18 tons of ice per day and the demand was increasing at a great pace.
On August 28, 1904 Collins Cash Clothing Company celebrated its 12th year in Fort Collins. Over 80 little cakes and 100 gallons of lemonade were consumed. In one of the cakes a small slip of paper was concealed. The winner received a handsome winter overcoat. The store also slashed prices “unmercifully.”
On November 2, 1904 the biggest cheese ever brought to Fort Collins was on exhibition at the Whiteman and Nelsen’s Grocery Store. It weighed 450 pounds and won the blue ribbon award at the Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. It was originally made in Crawford County, Pennsylvania and was said to be excellent in quality. Citizens were encouraged to come to the store and test it.
On November 16, 1904 there was a special sale of 25 different designs of wallpaper, at only 7 and a half cents a roll at Fort Collins Wallpaper Store at 315 Jefferson Street.
D.C. Armitage, florist, opened a flower shop in the Masonic block with W.T. Hollowell, undertaker on December 9, 1904.
Davison Cafe opened on December 19, 1904. Owned and operated by Dr. and Mrs. Davison, former popular proprietors of the Linden Hotel, the walls were papered in old rose and Nile green and the fixtures along were worth $1,500. Tables were spread with snowy linen and heavy silverware. Seating capacity was 60.
The P. Anderson Mercantile Company established a branch hardware store in Wellington in 1905. Arthur Platt, who purchased in interest in the company’s store, was to be in charge of the Wellington location.
The opening of the Northern Hotel on February 18, 1905 marked the beginning of a new era in the history of Fort Collins. The city took on added prominence as a town in which the hotel accommodations were not surpassed by any other city in the state (outside of Denver and Colorado Springs). Its closeness to the railroad depot made it a popular stopping place for travelers. On this date in 1975 a major fire heavily damaged the upper floors of the building. The once-beautiful Northern Hotel has been in disrepair over the past few years.
On March 11, 1905 the First National Bank of Loveland was organized with a capital of $50,000. The bank was to be located in the corner room of the Bartholf Opera House, formerly occupied as a drug store. The bank began business on May 1, 1905.
On March 16, 1905 Madam Eisenhauer’s (a native of Pennsylvania) millinery opening was a complete success. The store was thronged most of the afternoon with a large number of sales being made. The Easter parade proved quite interesting from the standpoint of beauty and elegance because of Madam Eisenhauer’s fine millinery selection. Clara Eisenhour carried a complete line of millinery and her stock was always up-to-date. Her business was located at 109 E. Mountain Avenue
On May 8, 1905 the Fort Collins Employment Agency began at 122 Linden. Started by Gene Bailey and W.H. Mullin, it was to be a great convenience to both employers of labor and those seeking employment.
On May 22, 1905 Edith Simpson opened a manicure and hair-dressing parlor on North College Avenue. She showed the ladies of Fort Collins a full line of hair goods, pompadours, switches, bangs, etc. There were also private baths for the ladies.
On May 30,1905 fire broke out in the College Panitoria in the Welch Block on College Avenue. The building was completely gutted and three businesses wiped out before the fire could be controlled. The fire originated from an explosion resulting from an attempt by Mrs. Kramer, wife of the proprietor of the tailor shop, to charge a lighted stove. Entire loss was estimated to be around $10-11,000.
On September 21, 1905 the new Elk Hotel on Linden opened with every room occupied. Mr. Tubb was the manager.
On October 17, 1905 Charles Beffrey at 216 Linden opened a new wallpaper store. A souvenir was given away on opening day, which was a picture on an aluminum plate of the old town of Fort Collins in 1865, which was said to be a valuable historical keepsake. Mr. Beffrey did a lot of the wallpaper in the Opera House in the early 1900’s.
On October 24, 1905 H.H. Orth and Mr. and Mrs. Thompson had purchased The Pansy Place on LaPorte Avenue. The company was going to build extensive greenhouses.
On October 25, 1905 B. Hughes, manager of the Cottage House, advertised the Victoria, a new air suction, dustless carpet sweeper.
On November 16, 1905 Horace Balmer added picture framing to his coroner business.
On August 9, 1905 The Poudre Valley Pressed Brick Co. was organized to carry on the manufacture of pressed brick for building purposes. Incorporated with a capital of $100,000, the directors of the company included B.F. Hottel, Frank Stover, James B. Arthur, and others.
A new fad hit Fort Collins – Roller Skating! A new rink was scheduled to be completed October 1907 at a cost of $3000. It had “the best floor that could be constructed” and was surrounded by a 120 x 50′ tent. One of the owners, F.A. Carleton announced, “We will run the rink on a high moral plane for the benefit of the best people. There will be a fixed rule against the admission of bad characters.
The opening night for the Orpheum Theater was November 21, 1907. It was Fort Collins’ second theater on North College Avenue. Two prominent Fort Collins businessmen financed the construction of the theater that was to be part of the Orpheum circuit. Its location was at 163 North College. The main auditorium of the Orpheum was 110 feet deep and could seat 866 people on its mahogany finished chairs. It also showcased a 50-foot lobby. The entire audience sat on the group floor on four inclined planes so everyone in the house had a clear view of the stage. The opening feature was “Squaw Man” at an outrageously high price of $10. Later performances were 50 cents and less.
In 1908 Albert Damm bought Christman’s Confectionary Shop at 133 S. College and combined this with his bakery business. He used a horse and wagon to deliver ice cream and bakery goods to homes.
Tedmon House, for years one of the best known hotels in Larimer County, closed its doors in August 1909. The new owners of the property were the Union Pacific.
A man traveling from New York, who dropped into A. W. Stover’s new drug store on the corner of Mountain and College commented in the September 23, 1909 Weekly Courier, “We have nothing finer than this in New York.” The new store was finished in genuine mahogany with plate glass and French beveled mirrors on all sides. It had a beautiful soda foundation with a marble counter and mahogany paneling. All of the showcases were made of solid plate glass with a marble base. The light fixtures were brass. About 3,500 carnations were given out to the ladies on opening date and an orchestra played music all day long for the visitors.
On January 13, 1910 the first meeting of the Board of Directors of the 1st National Bank was held. W.A. Drake was elected president.
On May 17, 1914 the elevator in the State Mercantile Building at south College Avenue and Oak Street (the first in Fort Collins) was placed in service.
On August 18, 1915 the Fort Collins Courier Express reported that Charles Lauterbach, first to establish a cigar business in Fort Collins (1882), “drops dead in the lobby of the Brown Hotel in Denver on August 17, 1915 of heart failure.” He was 86 years old.