In 1903, several of the students who remained after the basketball game to dance were wishing they had not done so. Professor Lawrence read an order in chapel suspending all the persons who danced in the old chapel.
In 1894 the Courier reported that Colonel Secord was devoting all of his spare time to the difficult task of breaking a bucking bicycle to the saddle. Sometimes the Colonel was on top but more often the bicycle occupied that position.
In 1883 Fort Collins’ first city election was preceded by a bitter campaign over the issue of “high license” against “low license” fees for the sale of liquor. At the time there were 13 bars and 3 drugstores which sold liquor in Fort Collins.
In 1888 Larimer County had their first lynching. Mrs. Eva Howe, wife of James Howe, an abusive alcoholic, was stabbed and killed by her husband as she attempted to flee from their home. A passer-by Gus Evans and other townspeople appeared at the scene of the crime and found Mr. Howe reclining in his bed. They took him into custody, threatening revenge. Around 8 PM on the evening of April 5, the city of Fort Collins became totally dark. A gathering of men, some of them in masks, silently gathered at the corner of the jail. Using a chisel and hammer, they broke into Howe’s cell, and dragged him crying for mercy to a derrick near the courthouse. As quickly as he was hung, the crowd dispersed and the lights of the city returned. The group of men who took justice into their own hands, were never identified. On a lighter note, the owners of the second bakery (opened in 1889) in Fort Collins, the Damm Bakery, Albert and Ernestine arrived from Berlin on this fateful day. They used a horse and wagon to deliver ice cream and baked goods directly to the homes of the Fort Collins’ residents. Sodas were 5 cents and ice cream 10 cents.
George A. Carlson, a popular young attorney, was appointed district attorney for Larimer County in 1906. He was to succeed Newton Crose.
In 1911, an 802 majority elected Jesse Harris mayor of Fort Collins over his opponent L.D. Crain.
In 1894 a ladies vocal and quartette was organized. Miss Irene Edwards was first soprano; Bertha Pegg, second soprano; Lena Wills, 1st alto and Nellie Lunn, second alto.
In 1881, Jacob Welch erected a new hotel on College Avenue. He was also elected mayor, F.P. Stover (recorder), Charles Sheldon (treasurer), Jay Bouton, B.F. Hottell, B.S. Tedmon and Ansel Watrous were elected trustees in the town election.
College capers were very prevalent in Fort Collins at the turn at the century. According to the 1904 Evening Courier some blood curdling scenes occurred on the college campus. A sophomore fell into the hands of a few freshmen and was promptly bound hand and foot to a tree where he remained for 30 minutes. To add to his torture, he was made to gaze down the dark throat of a 3-inch field gun that was aimed directly at his heart.
An advertisement in the 1874 edition of the Fort Collins Standard stated, “Ren Snyder, architect and builder! He has borrowed a full kit of tools and is now prepared to receive orders for all work in his life.”
The election of 1896 seated a majority of active prohibitionists who voted out the open saloon in Fort Collins shortly after their installation into office.
Rattlesnake Jack was in town. He had set out several hundred traps baited for gray wolves and coyotes. He has recently captured in the way 33 coyotes and one wolf. For the coyotes he gets a bounty of $4 per head, and for the wolves $80 per head. He also received $6 for mountain lions and $20 for wolf cubs.
In 1904 the Elks of Fort Collins occupied their new lodge and clubrooms for the first time. In less than one year, the lodge, with a membership of 200 had bought one of the finest corners in the city.
Franklin C. Avery was born in 1849 in New York. In 1872 he platted the streets in the city of Fort Collins. In 1880 he was founder of the Larimer County Bank. His Victorian-era house was constructed in 1879 from red sandstone from the Stout quarry.
In 1903 the trial of the cases of the city of Fort Collins against Marie Lafitte for alleged violation of the city ordinances by the sale of liquor, taken on appeal to the county court were concluded. There were three cases, but they were consolidated and tried before a jury. The verdict was against the defendant $20 and costs.
A genuine tarantula was found in a bunch of bananas at St. Clairs Grocery in 1904. It was taken to Professor Gillette at the college.
In 1890 Antoine Janis passed away just prior to the Wounded Knee affair at the Pine Ridge Sioux Indian Reservation. He was a respected figure among the early settlers and deeply devoted to his adopted people, the Sioux. He was on such friendly terms with Bold Wolf and his band of 150 Indians that in the spirit of friendship in the 1860’s he offered all of his land in the Cache La Poudre valley lying between the foothills and the mouth of the Boxelder Creek. Janis declined the generous offer, being satisfied with his quarter section of land situated at the gateway of the mountains.
In 1905 the Courier reported that at the meeting of the Society of Medical Jurisprudence, the discussion turned to the crusade of the New York Board of Health against spitting. Dr. Wolff Freudenthal created a sensation declaring that the real cause of the spread of germs was not spitting but the wearing of long dresses by women. He advocated the prohibiting of wearing long dresses by women.
Joe Gray and Frank Gifford topped the record for duck shooting in 1904 when they and their friends brought in 93 birds.
In 1881, in petition of Loveland residents, an election was called for on the question of incorporating the town under state law. The issue carried by 50 votes to 1. The formal organization took place on May 11, when a board of town officials was sworn in.
In 1879 a special election approved a proposal to incorporate the town of Fort Collins under state law. The vote was 40 to 1. On May 16, a town election resulted in the selection of town officers with Ben Whedbee elected Mayor. He had called the election as president of the town Board of Trustees.
C.B. Rosenow was elected City Clerk and Water Superintendent in April 1893. A year later in 1894, he committed suicide by shooting himself at Grandview Cemetery.
In 1879 the first county fair was opened on a 40-acre site near that of the present Poudre Valley Hospital. It was under the auspices of the Larimer County Fair Association with capital stock of $3,000.
In 1904 O.C. Goss completed the removal of his grocery stock in the new rooms at the corner of Linden and Walnut Streets and he was prepared to meet the wants of the citizens.
In 1904, by unanimous vote, the Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution giving to P.J. McHugh and his assigns, the necessary rights of way and easements and privileges to construct, maintain and operate a line or lines of electric railway in Larimer County.
A Fort Collins Civic Improvement League was organized in 1904. The objective was the improvement of the city in health, cleanliness and attractiveness.
From the Report of Commissioner of Mines Harry A. Lee, Larimer County’s production of metals for 1901 was gold, $45; silver, $73; and coppers $18,140.
The likeness of Franklin C. Avery, president of the First National Bank of Fort Collins appeared in the Denver Post’s series of “Colorado Kings of Finance” in 1903.
In 1902 Taxidermist F.B. Finley left for Denver in response to a request sent by the State Game Department, asking him to do some mounting for the department. The specimens are those recently seized by game wardens and include ten heads of mountain sheep, three whole sheep, one buffalo and a lot of elk and other stuff.
In 1903 the city physician, Dr. Killgore, found two cases of smallpox at the Arcade Restaurant.
In 1902, under a new arrangement, the Sub-Freshman and Freshman boys could work in the garden, farm or in the shops, or take free-hand drawing under Mr. Daniels for two hours every afternoon. Formerly they had to work on the farm or garden.
The new veterinary science course was a four-year course and furnished the only opportunity for veterinary education in the West in 1902. Indications were that a large number of students would register as vets the following year.
In 1902 the new C.A.C. barn was to be located probably south of the shed used for the Herefords. It will probably be devoted largely if not wholly to horses. In this case the management will put in a fine line of thoroughbreds and use the present large barn wholly for cattle.
In 1904 Enos A. Mills arrived in Estes Park after a two-month absence. Mr. Mills said that in all his travels, he had not found a place he liked as well as Estes Park and he was so glad to be home again.
Auntie Stone, an advocate of temperance, held a meeting at her home in 1879. She offered a good dinner to any young men who agreed to not enter a saloon for 2 months. She had 13 takers but the list grew to 31 by May 7th.
In 1901 a largely attended meeting of enthusiastic Republicans was held at the club rooms in the Welch Block, for the purpose of effecting a temporary organization of a Larimer County Republican Club. Rooms were tastefully decorated with national colors and pictures.
In 1902 a robbery in the mechanical department necessitated moving the unused safe of the president’s office to the mechanical department for the safe keeping of the department funds and valuables.
In 1902 the CAC students who were descendents of Civil War veterans held a meeting to see about the Sons of Veteran branch that was being organized in Fort Collins.
In 1874 an advertisement in the Fort Collins Standard proclaimed, “Real Estate! F.C. Avery, country surveyor! Will do everything in the line of engineering, surveying and map work in the best manner and on reasonable terms. Government land shown to actual settlers. Solders and citizens homesteads and preemption claims located. Money loaned for non-residents on good real estate security, at high rates of interest. Good references given both here and in the East if desired.”
In 1894 Water Commissioner R.Q. Tenney offered $10 for information leading to the conviction of the party or parties who stole the telephone posts and wire, the property of the ditch companies from across the Old Sherwood Bottom and near the Poudre Canyon.
The 1889 Weekly Courier reported that there was a circulating library in the study room of Reverend George N. Falconer (Unitarian Church minister) in the Welch Block. Books could be obtained every Thursday from 2 to 5 o’clock.
In 1893 Frank Dastarac was probably Fort Collins’ first Interior Decorator and Fresco artist.
In 1916 a corporation was being formed to merge all the stage lines from Larimer and Boulder counties serving Estes Park.
In 1916 the Fort Collins Hospital Association was being reorganized. Incorporators were Drs. P.J. McHugh, E. Stuver, S.T. Quick and W.N. deArmond.
J. S. McClelland, as editor and proprietor, issued the first newspaper, The Larimer County Express in 1873. Population of Fort Collins was approaching 500. Mr. McClelland hauled the original press from Cheyenne in an ox cart. The first paper was produced in his office, a small frame shed on Mountain Avenue close to where the Masonic Temple stands today. The purpose of the first paper was to interest people into coming to this area. A year’s subscription cost $2.50. Unfortunately, early copies of the paper were destroyed in a fire. When Henry Crafts bought the Express he found seven years worth of papers stacked in the office. To clear the clutter, he set the stacks on fire and destroyed evidence of the first seven years of journalism in Fort Collins. Our link to the early history of Fort Collins simply went up in smoke.
In 1899 a few of the young ladies of the city organized a Cooking Club. They met at the home of Miss Minnie Scott and enjoyed a luncheon of their own cooking consisting of salads, Saratoga chips, buns, pickles, gelatin, cake and cocoa. The remainder of the afternoon was spent having a social time.
In 1902 George Wilson, foreman at the Fossil Creek reservoir went to town and entered a complaint with Sheriff Cross that two men were running a saloon at the reservoir and getting his men so drunk that he was often short-handed. Sheriff Cross sent Under-Sheriff Baker and Deputy Sheriff Richart to the reservoir and they found the saloon in fine working order in a tent. George Schmidt of Loveland who had about $50 work of drinkables ran it. He was brought in on the evening train.
In 1874, Real Estate opportunities reported by real estate dealer, F.C. Avery included: “House and lot in Fort Collins, 14×16 with a kitchen on back, 10×12 and plastered with a cellar underneath. Price $500 – half cash with balance within 1 year’s time with 12% interest.”
In 1884 the Daily Express reported that Frank Miller, while out shooting one day, drew bead on an immense eagle near Laporte and brought the bird down with the first shot. The eagle measured 7 feet, 8 inches from tip to tip.
In 1918 fifth generation Fort Collins resident Charlene Tresner was born on a farm five miles northeast of Fort Collins. She was one of our most noted historians.
In 1865 the commissioners approved a fund to pay for horses impressed for military service.
In 1902 Tyler Lowe Mercantile had summer underwear bargains – ladies 4 to 10 cents and men 22 ½ cents to 37 ½ cents. In addition you could purchase 1 pound of Lowe’s Blend Bulk Roasted Coffee for 12 ½ cents, a 12-pound can of Kuner’s Pork and Beans for 10 cents and 4-pounds of rice for 25 cents.
In 1904 the Lord Dunraven estate in Estes Park was transferred to the control of Guy LaCaste and A.G. Burch of Denver. The property transferred amounts of 6,600 acres of deeded land in Estes Park, also 500 head of Hereford cattle, a livery stable with all equipment and the Estes park Hotel. Lord Dunraven valued the estate at $75,000. Estes Park was taken up by Lord Dunraven in 1875 with the intention of making it a game preserve, but not securing enough land for this purpose, he used it for 20 years as a cattle ranch.
In 1905 a petition was circulated and numerously signed asking the city authorities to prevent the congregation of crowds of loafers in front of the First National Bank Building on Mountain Avenue. There were times when the sidewalk was so packed full of idlers that a lady could not get through and was obliged to make a detour in order to reach the post office.
In 1904 Madame Marie Lafitte was guilty in the United States District Court on two counts of violating the federal revenue laws. Mrs. Lafitte was sentenced to pay a fine of $100 and costs and 60 days in jail on each of the two counts. She was committed to the County Jail in Denver.
In 1904 the Crescent Tennis Club was organized.
Daniel Beattie namesake for Beattie Elementary was born in Livermore in 1907.
In 1902 four car loads of Russians went through town. Some of them were unloaded here to work in the beet fields. The balance went on to Timnath and Windsor. Those that landed in Fort Collins had a plentiful crop of children. They all came from Nebraska and it was expected that some of them would locate permanently in Fort Collins. They appeared to have the makings of good citizens.
In 1903 a petition to the state board of health was being circulated on the Big Thompson for the purpose of prohibiting the Loveland sugar factory from dumping their refuse in the river. The stench and ill health caused by the stream being polluted by factory offals was said to be more than one could stand. Several farmers were compelled to move on account of the stench and it was claimed that the stream was alive with dead fish last fall that were killed by the poisonous water. The town’s people also reported that the water in the town ditch was tainted with pulp flavor.
In 1865 Captain Evans issued the following order: “No. 184, Hereafter there will be no Indians allowed to visit this post (Camp Collins). No soldier will be allowed to visit any Indian camp.”
In 1903 Russian German beet workers worked side by side with their preacher who preached on the weekends and worked beets during the week.
In 1910 there was the cornerstone laying at the Domestic Science Building on campus. Governor Shafroth attended the ceremony.
In 1902 P.W. Buchanan of Loveland purchased the confectionery store next to the Loveland House from Mr. Hudson. Mr. Hudson in turn had invested his money in a half interest in a merry-go-round.
In 1902 Montezuma Fuller was preparing plans for the overhauling of the plumbing system at the county poor farm. He was going to install a 600-gallon tank to furnish water when the city supply was cut off and arrangements were also being made for a bathroom.