In 1903 Madame Marie Lafitte was arrested and taken to Denver on eleven different charges of selling liquor without a government license, selling moonshine whiskey and being in complicity with the illicit manufacture of whiskey. Credit for the capture belongs to Marshal Place. At intervals he was able to secure whiskey that Madame Lafitte had sold and some of it was water white, as if it had just come from the still. They found in 52 bottles of whiskey in her possession. In Denver she was not willing to admit that she ever sold liquor but she said that she sold tobacco to anyone whom wanted it for 85 cents a plug. With each purchase of tobacco, she would simply throw in a bottle of whiskey. She also admitted supplying her friends with whiskey when it was not convenient for them to go to the drug store to purchase it. While in court, she came near getting committed for contempt through her profanity and manner of addressing the court. It was claimed that her defense was transparent and a sham but she kept court officers and spectators in a roar.
One of the worst snowstorms to ever hit Fort Collins occurred in 1913. Fifteen inches of snow fell that day and by December 7 there was between 31 and 40 inches. The entire town was shut down for more than a week. School was canceled for the first time in its young history.
In 1902 the paper reported that the University of Colorado football team was wearing steal-lined suits so long that the members forgot that it was against the rules. At first Boulder players denied the charge but the evidence was such that they acknowledged it was true. It may be the custom at Boulder to use steel-plated suits in order to prevent possible injuries but it is extremely doubtful if there is another team in the state that finds it necessary.
In 1880 the State Board of Agriculture authorized construction of a dorm building – the present-day Spruce Hall. In February 1881, the state legislature renewed the one-fifth mill state tax levy and appropriated $5,000 for the dormitory.
In 1902 Madame LaFitte was convicted in court of keeping a disorderly house and fined $200 and costs. She has taken her appeal to the county court.
In 1902 a Fort Collins correspondent of the Breeders Gazette has an article in the last issue of that publication that is causing considerable comment. He fires a broadside at agricultural colleges in general and tells how he would conduct them. He would abolish athletes the first thing followed by cutting out military tactics and finally, he would do away with mathematics and bookkeeping.
In 1902 the Loveland’s Business Men’s Club had filed the proper certificate with County Clerk Ramer. The incorporators were Louis Marley, James B. McDonargh and William Reitzel.
The hog house was ready for occupancy. It was a model one and has every convenience for handling hogs. The animals can be loaded, unloaded and weighed without any handling. The temperature of the rooms is easily regulated. This building in 1902 was said by some to be too fine a structure to keep swine in, but the up-to-date farmer does not agree.
Auntie Stone passed away in 1895 at the home of her daughter. The funeral was held December 6. Her pallbearers were Abner Loomis, James B. Arthur, A. M. Tomlin, Ansel Watrous, and A. A. Armstrong. She was laid to rest in the Mountain Cemetery (now Grandview Cemetery) while the firehouse tolled 94 times – once for each year of her life.
In 1907 Fort Collins held their first auto show. All 40 of the town’s automobiles were brought together for a parade and pictures. However, the parade was short-lived. Unpaved roads with dust ten inches deep caused many of the drivers with their dust-caked hair and eyebrows to drop out.
In 1902 a man living in a tent on the outskirts of town was arrested for violation of the anti-spitting ordinance, but owing to his family and his poverty, he was released with a reprimand.
In 1883 the Fort Collins Irrigation Companies canal, known as the town ditch, was being cleaned out, improved and being made ready for the next season. The cost would be around $1,500.
In 1883 A.N. Hoag killed a huge black eagle. The bird, measuring 6 feet and 7 inches, was presented to the Agricultural College.
In 1902 Mrs. Marie Lafitte was arrested (again) for selling liquor without a state license. She put up a check for her appearance and will soon have her hearing.
In 1899 the Old Maid’s Convention was held in the Opera House under the auspices of the Presbyterian Ladies Aid Society. Fort Collins leading ladies in church and social circles represented the “Old Maids”. The ladies were on stage and the curtain opened to them in grotesque costumes and a box with a poodle dog. They sang songs and committee reports were given on the eligible young bachelors in Fort Collins. The antics of the group kept the audience convulsed.
In 1872 Congress declared the military reservation in Fort Collins open for settlement and immediately formed a colony organization. Many early settlers got involved in trying to get new people here. Franklin Avery surveyed the town and issued a brochure that described the advantages and disadvantages of the new location. The first building built in town was for Judge Jay Bouton.
In 1873 H. C. Peterson sold his share of his mill to Joseph Mason and together he and Auntie Stone ran the mill.
In 1903, one of Fort Collins’ citizens, Myron Akin, reported in his diary that he turned on electric lights in his home for the first time ever on December 10th.
In 1905 a new post office was established at the halfway station along the new road between Loveland and Estes Park. Mrs. Ella Van Bramer had been appointed postmistress. The new office had been named Drake in honor of the present state senator from Larimer County.
Mrs. John Hickey presented her husband with three little girls in 1905. It was the first time in the history of Larimer County that such an event occurred. The Hickeys came from the East the previous year and purchased a part of the Tombaugh farm 3 miles southwest of the town of Fort Collins. They had three other children.
In 1904 Frank Stover celebrated his birthday. Among the token of remembrances showered upon him were 25 sticks of barber pole candy.
In 1923 the huge “A” which stands on the foothills near Horsetooth Mountain was placed there by Colorado Agricultural College students.
In 1864, invitations were issued to Fort Collins residents to attend a Military Ball. The Committee of Invitation consisted of Captain Wesley Love, Lieutenant E.P. Drake, Captain W.B. Evans and Lieutenant O.S. Glynn. The music was by the Granville and Ferrens String Band. The house in which the ball was held was not on the invitation but the presumption was that it took place in Auntie Stone’s cabin, which had just been completed. Tradition informs us that Joseph Mason drove to Denver to buy luxuries for the ball and among other things he purchased was a cabbage head, for which he paid $5. These balls were afterwards quite frequent during the time the soldiers occupied the post.
The cornerstone of the Loveland Christian Orphanage was laid in 1904. The National Benevolent Association built the orphanage on a 200-acre tract of land, two miles west of Loveland.
Frederick Sherwood, early pioneer in Fort Collins, was born in 1831. He served many years in public office in this area. He and his brother owned many acres of land and engaged in raising horses. He passed away in 1906.
In 1892, Harris Akin moved his family from Denver to Fort Collins. He purchased a home on Howes Street.
In 1903 W.T. Hollowell returned from the East where he had been taking a thorough course in the latest and most improved methods of embalming.
In 1905, Horace Balmer added picture framing to his coroner business.
In 1905 the case of the City of Fort Collins vs. F.P. Stover was heard in Justice Cooper’s court. In this case, the city was suing to recover $300 in damaged for an alleged violation of a city ordinance relating to the sale of liquor.
Abner Loomis, one of Fort Collins early pioneers was born in 1829 in New York. At the age of 21 the gold excitement began and Abner wanted part of it. He made a lot of money but it was lost searching for better mines. In 1860 he headed to Colorado and made claims in Cache La Poudre Valley, having been associated with Antoine Janis. He became very serious about raising cattle and did quite well. He made many investments in Fort Collins and became president of the Poudre Valley Bank in 1904, a position he held until his death on August 23, 1904.
In 1898, Fort Collins was very proud of its literary talent. Miss Adrienne Roucolle was the author of a book entitled, The Kingdom of the Good Fairies. It was beautifully illustrated with tableaux arranged by the author and photographed by Seckner of Fort Collins. Mrs. Verah Armstrong, author of Why the White Farm Failed, had her work published in Ladies Home Journal. B.A. Crafts, a local newspaper man, had illustrated articles appearing in the Scientific American.
In 1898 Windsor resident and noted trapper, Robert Harris, shipped 450 muskrat and 3 mink skins to a Chicago firm. The greater part of them would rate as number one and the fur of an excellent quality.
During the election of 1898 election expenses of the various candidates and central committees invariably contained a expense for cigars but not beer or whiskey. It was gratifying to the editor of the paper to note that the custom of drinking had been completely eliminated from our election campaigns! This condition of affairs seemed to be the same all over the state and Fort Collins residents were glad to see the saloons losing their political grip. The residents regretted seeing a large increase in the use of cigars for campaign purposes but felt it was less objectionable than whiskey.
In 1902 in the university chapel, Dr. Aylesworth, aided by the senior class sold 90 Silver Spruce books that were left over from last year. One contained the signatures of everyone connected with the college and it was auctioned off to the highest bidder. Miss Theodosia Ammons bid the highest and secured possession of a book that Dr. Aylesworth predicted would be worth several thousand dollars in years to come. The total sale netted the seniors $78.
In 1902 the ladies of the Masonic fraternity opened the new Masonic Temple to the public with an elaborate banquet. After the banquet there was a musical and literary program followed by a grand ball. The proceeds from the entertainment were to be used to purchase a piano for the temple. Tickets for the supper and ball were 75 cents.
Davison Cafe opened in 1904. Owned and operated by Dr. And Mrs. Davison, former popular proprietors of the Linden Hotel, the walls were papered in old rose and Nile green and the fixtures along were worth $1,500. Tables were spread with snowy linen and heavy silverware. Seating capacity was 60.
Jessie Moore, namesake of Moore Elementary, passed away in 1970. Born in 1881 to Samuel Moore, a farmer in Fort Collins, she started teaching in 1904 in the German Church before Rockwood was built.
In 1901 the First National Bank of Fort Collins celebrated the 20th anniversary of its founding, receiving from the Comptroller of the Currency an extension of its charter for another period of 20 years. The bank was founded in 1881, when Fort Collins had no more than 6-700 inhabitants. The prime movers were Edgar Avery, father of President Frank C. Avery, W.G. Bixby, Noah Bristol, I.W. Bennett and Bruce Johnson. The institution has had a most prosperous career. It had grown and broadened until its deposits were about $340,000. A remarkable fact was that the banks of Fort Collins were the only ones in the state who discount rate to everybody was no more than 8%. Another remarkable fact was that the present President Frank C. Avery had held the office since the bank was started.
In 1904 William Rist was appointed division engineer of Irrigation District 1, to succeed L.R. Hope who died last year. Rist had been county surveyor for many years and was noted for his knowledge and technical work.
The man who was the namesake of Lopez Elementary, William Lopez, was born in 1921 in Fort Collins. He attended local schools and was a very popular teacher.
In 1902 Miss Theodosia Ammons attended a Colorado Teacher’s Association Meeting in Colorado Springs and read her paper entitled, “Science not Fads in Household Economics.”
In 1905 a mass meeting of the Colorado Anti-Cigarette League was held at the Baptist Church. W.S. Sylvester sang some of his original anti-cigarette songs. The league had a membership nationwide of 40,000 boys and girls and and 8,000 adults.
E. Chester Giddings and Agnes Eurillia Mason were wed in Fort Collins in 1883.
In 1903 about 50,000 pounds of stone from the Fort Collins quarry were being used in the Carnegie public library in Laramie, Wyoming. The stone was a very hard sandstone, about 7 inches thick and of large size. It was to be used in finishing the windows and doors of the beautiful structure.
An article in the December 1915 Fort Collins Courier Express read “Renaming Streets Seems a Delicate but Needed Action.” It seems the city was experiencing a problem with naming its streets. The commissioners felt that naming streets after pioneers (Remington, Sherwood, Loomis, etc.) would cause a storm of protest. The Woman’s Club disagreed and won.
1881 First Murder – Tex Lindeville shot and killed Albert Sherwood, a black cook who worked at the Tedmon House.Lindeville pleaded self-defense and was acquitted.
In 1902 W.H. Schurreman undertook the relief of considerable suffering that exists among the families camped on the outskirts of the city of Fort Collins. There is great need of clothing. In one 1110×12 tent, was found a family, which besides the father and mother consisted of 10 children, some actually in rags. The Elks are assisting with the project.
In 1883 the paper reported a very excellent lairating exhibition on College Avenue. A group of mounted horsemen were given a lively chase by a runaway bronco. It was handily caught and handled.
William Lindenmeyer was brought to Central City from Fort Collins charged with complicity in the larceny of two horses in the city in 1898. He was committed to the county jail after a preliminary hearing but bond was presented by the First National Bank of Fort Collins. He was discharged to the custody of the sheriff through the instrumentality of his attorney, J. W. Wooten.
In 1898 Berthoud held their 3rd annual coyote round up. Everyone was requested to line up promptly at 6 PM and they were to converge to the flag that was placed about one mile west of Lone Tree Lake. They hoped everyone would turn out to make this a successful hunt.
In the trolley’s first year, 27,000 people rode it for a 5-cent fare. It debuted on this date in 1907. The green and yellow cars could hold 44 passengers.
In 1901 the sugar factory in Loveland produced 1775 sacks of sugar in the 24 hours ending Sunday at 7 PM. This was the largest run made so far in the campaign and represents an average of over 600 pounds every 5 minutes.
In 1904 the 4th Annual I.O.O.F. masked ball was held. Only dancers in full costume would be permitted on the floor until after unmasking. Tickets for dancers were 75 cents, spectators 25 cents and ladies with masks were admitted free. “We’ll dance all night ‘till broad daylight. Our motto is fun.”
In 1906 the Fort Collins Pioneer Society (later Association) was organized at a meeting of long-time residents. Its stated purpose was to “keep alive the traditions and experiences of the early settlers in the Cache La Poudre Valley. Membership was open to pioneer residents of Colorado and their descendants — a rule since modified.
Work on the street railway began on July 9, 1907. A dedication trip was held in 1907 and the Express-Courier proclaimed that the citizens were “pleased with what they saw.”
Fort Collins continued operation of the trolley system until November 4, 1952. Due to losses of revenue and high repair costs, the streetcar system came to an end. However, with a successful restoration project completed, the new trolley was run again on this date in 1984 with over 9,000 passengers reliving part of Fort Collins’ historical past.
The first wedding in Fort Collins occurred in 1866 between Mrs. Elizabeth L. Keays and Harris Stratton. The wedding took place at Auntie Stone’s cabin. Soon after their marriage, they moved to a dry farm and lived there for several years. Mr. Stratton conducted a dairy farm and his butter always took first place at state fairs.
In 1899 invitations were sent out for the first annual ghost dance and pow-wow of Shoshone Tribe No. 80 which would be held at the Odd Fellows hall. A jolly time was to be expected by those receiving an invitation.
In 1907 the Evening Courier proclaimed, “Get the habit! On this date many Fort Collins residence joined the habit of riding the streetcars which began operating on four miles of track.
Auntie Stone sold her share of the mill to T.M. Roberts in 1873. The mill burned down in 1886 but was quickly rebuilt.
According to the 1898 Weekly Courier, “It is not a rare sight to see men both married and single on our main business street in a beastly state of intoxication, filled with 40 rod-knockem stiff rat poison bug juice and fiery adulterations called whiskey. What a sight to see bright intelligent men in a condition to make angels week and demons grin, staggering along the streets with an idiotic grin on their faces and often uttering oaths and imprecations to frighten the very dogs as they perambulate the streets. The question arises, shall this state of things continue? Better an open saloon and strict police surveillance than the very large quantities shipped in from Denver on orders.”