In 1902 the sophomore class at C.A.C. created a sensation in chapel when they released a number of balloons bearing the numbers ‘04.
In 1902 the library at CAC was being fitted out with some drop shelving to utilize the last bit of vacant wall space. This department of the college was seriously handicapped by lack of room.
In the 1919 general election, the citizens of Fort Collins authorized a bond issue to purchase the Denver and Inter-urban Railway.
In 1882 Ansel Watrous and H.F. Sturdevant sold the Fort Collins Courier to L.R. Rhodes and B.F. Blake.
In 1893, Miss Adrienne Roucolle authored a novel entitled, The Broken Promise. Five years later she published a book on fairies that was sold throughout the United States.
In 1904. T.J. Montgomery sold the property known as the Rustic for Lady Moon. Situated on the river at the foot of Pingree Hill 45 miles west of Fort Collins, it was purchased by Arthur Y. Gordon.
An Agricultural Experiment Station was established at CAC in 1887. In 1888 the station started a sugar beet culture that attracted Germans from Russia.
In 1891 Congress authorized President Benjamin Harrison to withdraw certain lands from settlement and set them aside as timberland reserves. This action was the beginning of the establishment of national forests – the Roosevelt National Forest in Larimer County among them.
In 1916 the Women’s Federation of Foreign Missionary Societies in Loveland passed resolutions against Sunday baseball as being a bad influence on the young. At the same time, the city council in Fort Collins passed an ordinance against ragtime dancing.
Birthdate of Honorable William A. Drake (1853). He served in the State Senate as the representative of Larimer and Boulder Counties from 1902-1910. He was regarded as the largest sheep feeder in Colorado.
In 1903 “Old Cinderella,” the veteran horse of the civil engineering department had gone to her reward. Owing to a complication of several malignant diseases, she had been turned over to the veterinary science class for dissection. All the students and graduates othe civil engineering course had a warm spot in their hearts for Old Cindy. For 12 years she pulled the college buckboard over the country roads, taking the classes to and from their fieldwork.
Plans were being made for the new Masonic Temple. In 1902 the plans called for a very handsome building, 75×85 feet. The first floor was to contain three storerooms, and on the second floor there was to be a lodge room, banquet hall, parlor, ante-rooms, etc. Collins Lodge No. 19 had over 180 members and they included the most substantial men in the city. The project was expected to cost at least $15,000.
In 1902 bids were opened for the construction of a pressed brick residence for Frank Miller, Jr. The bids were: F.L. Garnick ($2,297); Clint Loveland ($2,245); James Millinger ($2,065) and Love and Bayne ($2,060). Milinger was awarded the contract.
In 1909 the Colorado Supreme Court settled a dispute between Larimer and Grand Counties by ruling that the North Park area was part of Larimer County. On this date, Jackson County was created from the portion of Larimer County west of the Medicine Bow Range.
In 1910 Judge Ben Lindsay of Denver spoke at the Baptist church. The following evening he spoke at the college.
In 1894 a system of electric bells, operated by buttons set in a frame in the county clerk’s office and connected with the different county offices by wire were put in by electrician Bell. The apparatus was put in to enable the county clerk to call any of the county officers to the clerk’s room to answer a telephone call.
In 1902 Professor Theodosia Ammons left for the National Equal Suffrage Association in Washington, D.C. Professor Ammons attended as a delegate and would also be presenting a paper before the Association. She was to be gone for 10 days.
Father Juan Fullana was born in Spain in 1893. In October 1936 he became pastor of the Holy Family Church in Fort Collins.
In 1902 Mrs. Whitton had her spring opening of fine millinery. The ladies of the city were treated to a rare display of all of the most beautiful creations in the line of hats and trimmings.
Score another point for City Marshall Sander. In 1905, he told Lee Fretwell, a notorious tinhorn gambler, bootlegger and all around bad man and Mrs. Parks, a dissolute woman who had been making an infernal nuisance of herself, to hit the pike and not to stand upon the order for their going either. They left town immediately, promising never to return to Fort Collins.
In 1878 the wind gave Fort Collins such a shaking up as it had never seen before. It howled for two days and William Bachelder, a sheep rancher in Spring Canyon, reported that it blew some of his sheep into Weld County.
In 1904, Mr. Dixon, son-in-law of the late John Provost of Laporte, voluntarily closed the old saloon which has been maintained there for years and enjoyed the commendation of the entire community.
Carl Lauterbach’s Cigar Factory opened for business in 1882. Ansel Watrous, editor of the Courier newspaper, outlined six reasons why Fort Collins’ smokers should purchase his cigars.
In 1904 a stove explosion at Gem Grocery burned off the beard and eyebrows of Myer Allam. A fresh coal had been thrown into the fire of the stove and it exploded in Allam’s face.
In 1898 the County Commissioners decided that an appropriation of $150,000 for defenses at the mouth of the Poudre was unnecessary. They say, with considerable show of reason that long before Spanish gunboats can possibly reach the mouth of the Poudre, the fat lambs and potatoes will all have been marketed, so there would be nothing for the Spanish to come here for.
In 1903, Mr. Kelly celebrated his 20th year with the college. In 1903 he was head janitor and there was reportedly no one liked better than he. He had been with the college for a long time and it was hoped he would be there a still longer time.
In 1903 an Oriental Cruise class of 20 members was organized at the home of Reverend I.N. Monroe for the purpose of studying the points of interest in a trip to Jerusalem as part of the International Sunday School convention. The program for the first meeting covered the trip from New York City to Athens.
In 1905 the First National Bank of Loveland was organized with a capital of $50,000. The bank was to be located in the corner room of the Bartholf Opera House, formerly occupied as a drug store. The bank began business on May 1, 1905.
In 1905 an impromptu horse race was run at Prospect Park, the purse being a sack of oats. It was a trot and a race, best two in three and A.P. Goodwin’s horse, Hardnut took the oats.
In 1905 the Larimer County Bar Association was organized during a meeting at Garbutt and Clammer’s Law office in Loveland. Officers elected included Frank J. Annis, President and Fred Farrar, Vice President.
In 1905 Harry Wolaver was arrested and charged with stealing chickens. The accused had been arrested the previous month ago Fred Bowdern, however Wolaver was released because Bowden took all the blame himself, saying that he alone was the guilty party. This time the evidence was such that Wolaver was going to have a hard time getting out of trouble. Wolaver’s hearing was Monday, March 13. He was bound over to the district court in the sum of $500.
In 1912 Director C.P. Gillette of the experiment station at the college, lectured to the Women’s Club of Denver on the disease carrying ability of the house fly. The women have been considering the danger of the common fly and invited Mr. Gillette to tell them about it in detail. Lantern slides enabled the director to illustrate his lecture and he was able to impress upon his hearers the necessity of swatting the fly. The club members took up the slogan “swat the fly” and expect to wage a vigorous campaign during the summer.
In 1902 Miss Ada Livernash wanted her friends in Fort Collins know that she was appointed as stenographer in the office of the Secretary of State in Denver at a salary of $100 a month.
In 1904 after rounding out 85 years full of usefulness and good works, the venerable Henry Akin quietly passed into that sleep which knows no waking in this world. He came to Fort Collins in 1878. He had gone to school with suffragist, Elizabeth Cady Stanton. He also heard Abraham Lincoln speak during his memorable campaign with Stephen Douglas in 1858.
In 1902 all true believers in Prohibition were to meet at Mr. Golding-Dwyer’s office for the purpose of organizing a Prohibition Alliance. If you were friendly to the cause, it was urged that you attend.
The office of the newly organized Estes Park Cottage Company (organized in 1902) were: President T.H. Robertson; Treasurer Frank P. Stover and Franks A. Somerville, Secretary. The capital stock is $50,000 and the object is to develop Estes Park as a resort.
Princess Sheroda, the East India Princess, palmist, clairvoyant, card reader and trance medium was at the Tedmon House for one week in 1904. “Ladies can visit her without the least fear of unpleasant surroundings and gentlemen will not lose their self respect by paying her a call.”
Josiah W. McIntyre was born in 1839 in New York on this date. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company C of the 16th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry. He was wounded under the left eye at the battle of Shepardstown, VA and was taken prisoner. However, his captives released him so he could return home and take care of his wound. He never recovered and became totally blind in 1865. Before becoming totally blind he studied law. He came to Fort Collins in 1878 and considered it his home. In 1889, although totally blind, he resumed his law career and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1889 with highest honors.
Chris Mason opened an oyster and chop house on Linden Street in 1894.
In 1899 a large crowd of ladies attended the millinery opening of Mrs. Laura Trimble’s where they saw a fine array of the latest up-to-date hats, bonnets, ribbons, laces and flowers so dear to a woman’s heart.
In 1902 the Electric Light Company had one of its dynamos burn out at least once a week. A couple of experts were called in to find out what the trouble is. Each time a dynamo burns out it costs the company $400 to repair it.
Originally the fort, established by Lt. Colonel Collins, was to be a permanent post with the intention of protecting travelers and settlers trekking along the Overland Trail. However, with the lessening of the Native American Indian problems, the fort was abandoned by orders issued by President Johnson in 1867.
In 1884, Adrian Blackmer bought out N. Weaver and Company grocery store and operated it until his retirement.
In 1893 the Larimer County Horticultural Society was formed. Charles E. Pennock was elected president.
In 1904, the Honorable John F. Shafroth of Denver, former member of Congress from the First Congressional District, had been retained by several Cache La Poudre ditch companies to contest the demand of Logan and Morgan Companies for water for direct irrigation. He was registered at the Tedmon and was busy gathering evident relating to the need for water for direct use at this season of the year.
In 1905 Madam Eisenhauer’s millinery opening was a complete success. The store was thronged most of the afternoon with a large number of sales being made. The Easter parade proved quite interesting from the standpoint of beauty and elegance because of Madam Eisenhauer’s fine millinery selection.
In 1862 the LaPorte Townsite Company filed a squatters claim to 1,280 acres and established a town constitution. Signers were: F.R. Nicholas, Antoine Janis and Alfred F. Howes, Secretary. Capital stock was $120,000.
In 1911 the Boy Scouts were organized. It was said that it was “an organization, the purpose of which was character building for boys between the years of 12 and 18. It was an effort to get boys to appreciate the things about them, and to train them in self-reliance, manhood and good citizenship. During World War I, the Boy Scouts in Fort Collins distributed cards to all of the homes in Fort Collins to give women the opportunity to register for the service so “the government may know what the nation’s strength in women is and to what extent it maybe used in the war.”
The Fort Collins Weekly Courier stated that the purpose of the Boy Scouts, which had just been organized for the first time, was to get young men between the ages of 12 and 18 to “appreciate the things about them and to train them in self-reliance, manhood and good citizenship.” One of the duties of the Boy Scouts during WWI was to distribute cards from house to house to give women the opportunity to register for the service.
In 1899 W.W. Sullivan was proudly wearing a fine gold watch charm, presented by the employees of the Courier office. It had been engraved on one side with the dates “1886-1899” showing the time he was connected with that paper as business manager.
In 1903 James J. Cooke, J.M.E. Cooke and George W. Cummer had organized the Fort Collins Pressed Brick Company with $35,000 capital stock.
State Commissioner of Mines, Harry A. Lee’s 1903 report stated that Larimer county in 102 produced 39 ounces of gold worth $806.13, 49 ounces of silver worth $25.56 and 24,888 pounds of copper worth $2,958.44. Total $3,790.13.
In 1908 Fancher Sarchet, junior member of the new firm of Ballard and Sarchet, was appointed deputy district attorney to succeed George Carlson, who resigned a few days earlier in order to make an active canvass for the district attorneyship. Mr. Sarchet was notified of his selection and he entered immediately upon his duties. The appointment was made by District Attorney VanHorn.
Jessie L. Kissock (later Jessie Clark) was born in Fort Collins in 1883. She was society editor of the Fort Collins Leader and also a member of the Pioneer Women. She graduated from Colorado A&M in 1904, majoring in science.
Daniel Beattie, born in 1907 in Livermore, Colorado passed away in 1972. The namesake of Beattie Elementary was a star athlete at Fort Collins High School. He graduated from Colorado A&M where he later coached track and football. He taught for many years at Fort Collins high school before becoming Assistant Principal in 1950.
The 1902 Courier reported in a story entitled, “It All Depends” that the White and Page with Brooks and Wilcox of Colorado Springs had been trying to purchase the Fort Collins Electric Light Company’s plant. The negotiations had been reached but will be finalized only if the city of Fort Collins would give a 10-year contract instead of five, as they offered. If the contract is not given, the deal is off. It had been hoped that the Colorado Springs people who represent a great deal of capital would embark heavily in Fort Collins.
In 1884 the Daily Express suggested that the “smelling committees” of the board of aldermen should make a tour of investigation because there were numerous places in the city of Fort Collins that were dangerous to public health.
In 1893 the commissioners appointed Mrs. James Loomis courthouse janitor.
In 1903 the C.A.C. baseball suits were received and reportedly presented a very handsome appearance when seen on the field. They were blue and white with “Aggies” printed across the blouse front.
Will Ryan heard someone prowling around his house and catching sight of an intruder on the front porch opened fire on him. The neighbors hearing four of five shots, gathered, when they had mustered up courage enough, and investigated. Their appearance in various kinds of garb, of more or less scantiness, was very picturesque. On approaching the Ryan residence they found a man lying prone upon the piazza and motionless. An examination revealed the fact that he was dead – drunk. Mr. Ryan is now receiving congratulations on his expert marksmanship. This strange chain of events occurred in 1902.
In 1902 Fort Collins began to take on a new life. As evidence of a more rapid and substantial growth in population and business importance, a new daily edition of the Courier newspaper made its appearance and was received with much favor. At first it was a four-page paper with only local news service, but because of its success, within a few months it was enlarged to eight pages.
In 1909 an editorial comment in the Weekly Courier proclaimed, “Vote it anti-saloon territory and kill the liquor question in Fort Collins for all time to come.” The people of Fort Collins had sworn upon the altar of high heaven eternal hostility against every form of the grog shop and its unnumbered evils.
In 1903 W.R. Shields had recently installed an electrical goose. That is, his tailor’s goose was being heated with electricity instead of coal. Tucker the restaurant man was heating his coffee with electricity. Electrical flatirons were very handy. A woman could iron all day with a hot iron and never have to change it.
In 1910 Judge T.M. Robinson came over from Boulder to defend a client in the district court in a big damage suit. When he got there he learned for the first time that the complainant had died a week earlier and had taken his case to a higher court.
Antoine Janis, believed to be the first permanent setter in the Cache La Poudre Valley was born in 1844 in St. Charles, Missouri. In 1864 he was appointed to act as guide and interpreter for the army post. He befriended the Native Americans and even married Bold Wolf’s daughter. He resided in the area from 1844 until 1878, when he pulled up stakes and moved to the Pine Ridge Agency where he joined his wife’s tribe. His original cabin is now located at the Library Park.
The officers of the newly organized Estes Park Cottage Company (1902) were President, T.H. Robertson, Frank A. Somerville, secretary and treasurer Frank P. Stover. The capital stock was $50,000 and the object was to develop Estes Park as a resort.
In 1902 A.W. Scott installed a new Lippincott soda fountain, gorgeous in onyx and nickel plate. It had all the latest improvements and cost set up about $2100.
In 1903 Rattlesnake Jack came home to Livermore from Denver attired in a suit of clothes that would cause a Denver dude to turn green with envy. It was hard to say why Rattlesnake Jack was all dressed up, a departure from his usual hunting costume, but perhaps he was feeling lonesome and wanted a partner to share his joys and sorrows.
In 1903 the W.C.T.U. met at the pleasant home of Mrs. Mary Kitchel, 601 Mountain Avenue and discussed the subject, “Is Politics Improved by Woman Suffrage?” Miss Theodosia Ammons led the discussion.
In 1874 the farmers on the Upper Thompson had an original method of irrigating. On land so high it could not be reached except by long and expensive canals, they pumped the water. Where the river had a rapid fall, they put in a water wheel that drove the pump. By this method, high land could be reached at much less expense than by ditches or windmills.
In 1878 the State Board of Agriculture, governing board of the college, adopted a plan for the “Main Building” prepared by George B. King of Boulder. Mr. King estimated the cost of the building at $7,000.
In 1904 the businessmen of Fort Collins subscribed toward supplementing the city street sprinkler service by another wagon, thus keeping the dust under control. Many felt this was a capital idea!
In 1893 Daughters of Rebekah Lodge, Delta #25 was instituted.
In 1880, the assessment of Fort Collins amounted to $388,825, the county clerk reported 46 marriages, Larimer County produced 138,756 bushels of wheat and there were 54 students registered at the agricultural college.
Other Events in March
Lieutenant John H. Mandeville, who served during the Civil War under Generals Siegel, Hunter and Sheridan and served in 13 battles in Virginia, came to Larimer County in March. He was with Sheridan when the gallant cavalry leader chased Confederate General Early to and down the Shenandoah Valley.
First official meeting of the State Board of Agriculture. William F. Watrous as elected president and Harris Stratton, secretary. The college tax for 1877 and 1878 amounted to about $8,000. This money was spent in the erection of a building, planting a tree nursery and other improvements.
Construction was begun on the Opera House block in the 100 block of North College Avenue, on a site owned by Jay H. Bouton. The three story building included F.C. Avery’s Larimer County Bank, space for Welch’s new store and the Windsor Hotel, along with the Opera House. The opera house was built over street level shops. It had an entrance highlighted by stone pillars and arches. Frescoes and a drop curtain depicting a scene from Colorado’s San Juan Mountains decorated the interior. One third of the seats were inclined and there were four boxes on the east side.
A librarian was appointed at the Colorado Agricultural College. The duties included collecting college mail twice daily and presiding over a reading room in the Main Building.
In 1915 D. C. Armitage, City Commissioner of Public Works, announced that a number of female cotton-bearing cottonwood trees would be removed in the spring because their cotton saturated the air with cotton. Housewives were complaining because it stuck to the clothing on their clothesline. A city attempt to rid the town of these trees two years earlier had stirred up a bitter protest from residents who admired the tree-lined streets.