In 1866 Antoine Janis filed his claim for his land in the Cache La Poudre Valley. The patent to this piece of land was the first recorded in Larimer County. At the time of his issue, soldiers of Camp Collins were camped on his land.
In 1899 the Wells Fargo Express Company took charge of all express business on the Colorado and Southern. P.B. Leonard was named agent.
In 1882 a school board was elected for the new Stout schoolhouse. In November, District 27 was established. Two miles farther south, 25 carpenters worked to complete a depot, a section house and a water tank connect to a 2,000-barrel reservoir. The boarding house was also the first Stout Post Office. It opened in September 1882 and it had 21 rooms on 2 floors.
Lerah Stratton was born in 1868 in the pioneer cabin known as Auntie Stone’s cabin. Her parents, Mrs. and Mrs. Harris Stratton, were the first white couple to be married in Fort Collins and she was the second white child born here.
In 1899 a group of interested spectators assembled at the rooms of Dr. And Mrs. Tigner at the Linden Hotel to witness the operation of an x-ray machine. All present were granted the privilege of investigating into the mysteries of this wonderful search light which penetrated into the depths heretofore unsolved. Several were also given electric treatments and all passed a pleasant evening.
In 1902 the Larimer Light and Power Company was organized with a capital stock of $100,000. They were going to take over the business, plant, franchise, etc of the Fort Collins Electric Company. Irving Bonbright, Leonard E. Curtis and Franklin Brooks incorporated the company. The company had ordered a 100-horse power high speed engine, a 200 kilowatt generator and a 40 kilowatt generator. The manager, E.C. Allen, gave assurances that a lower schedule of rates would be adopted provided the use of light increased sufficiently.
In 1874 a substantial bridge was constructed over the Poudre at Livermore and the road was open to travel.
In 1884 the law-abiding citizens of Laporte met to consider what lawful means should be considered to drive out of the Laporte all persons engaged in any unlawful business. There was a determination shown to make thorough work of the saloon business in Laporte.
In 1902, Longs Peak Hotel in Estes Park was purchased by Enos Mills from E.J. Lamb.
In 1924 a chapter of the Republican Federation of Colorado Women was organized at the home of Mrs. E. C. Giddings, vice county chair.
In 1903 a gang of about 24 Greeks employed by the C & S on the sugar factory switches got mad about something and quit.
In 1905 the Fort Collins Employment Agency began at 122 Linden. Started by Gene Bailey and W.H. Mullin, it was to be a great convenience to both employers of labor and those seeking employment.
In 1905 H.M. Balmer received a new casket wagon of the most up-to-date style. It was a fine wagon and a credit to the town.
In 1870, Henry M. Teller, then Grand Master of Masons for the jurisdiction of Colorado territory, issued a dispensation authorizing and empowering Brothers Henry Clay Peterson, F.J. Snyder, Benjamin H. Eaton, John H. Bradstreet, Abner Loomis, Joseph R. Wills, Harris Stratton, Clyde J. McDivitt, J.M. Smith, T.M. Smith, George W. Swift, Benjamin T. Whedbee and M. Smith to enter, pass and raise Free Masons according to the ancient usages and customs of the craft and under the rules and regulations of the grand lodge of the territory of Colorado.
In 1884 work was to commence on Jacob Welch’s building on Mountain Avenue, in the rear of the Windsor Hotel. The lot, which was 100 feet front by 155 feet deep, was to be enclosed by a substantial stone wall 15 feet high. A portion was to be covered with a roof and used as a storeroom. The remainder was to be used as a lumberyard. Mr. Welch planed to have a general stock of groceries, hardware and of course, lumber.
In 1894 plans were discussed to have a high school. Three teachers were to be employed and nine grades taught.
Frank C. Miller was born in Fort Collins in 1886. He was one of Fort Collins’ most colorful characters. He attended local schools and opened one of the first local gasoline stations in the Northern Garage on Pine Street. As a western showman and expert marksman he entertained such celebrities as Will Rogers and Buffalo Bill Cody. He also kept a zoo with buffalo, coyotes and other wild animals. One of his most famous tricks was shooting a piece of chalk from a ladies mouth at 25 feet. The trick was made more difficult by covering the sights on his rifle and firing with one hand. He also rode in an open auto with his pet bear in the back seat.
In 1902 the Tyler-Lowe store was broken into, the cash drawer rifled and a small sum of money taken. Entrance was effected through the back door of the store. It was thought that this job and the one done at Stover’s Drug Store were the work of a gang of half-grown boys.
In 1902 Miss Theodosia Ammons went to Boulder on Chautauqua matters.
In 1903 the cornerstone was laid for the new (Fort Collins) high school.
Assessor J.W. Seaman received a rather unusual tax schedule from Thomas J. Rowe of Helena, Montana in 1903. In sending out blank schedules to nonresidents, the assessor always calls attention to the little notice on the face of the schedule requiring the taxpayer to swear to his statement. Rowe obeyed the injunction with great alacrity, writing beneath the notice the single word, “Dam”.
In 1904 there were between 30 and 40 families living in the city of Wellington and there were five new homes ready to occupy.
In 1899 the paper announced that the local patrons of Fort Collins dairies were reporting a scarcity of cream and milk, which they attributed to a great percentage of feed being given to sheep to the detriment of dairy stock.
The Parlor Drug Store opened under the ownership of C.A. Willis. He had secured the services of the College Mandolin Club for his grand opening. The ladies of the Associated Charities were to be given the gross receipts of the soda fountain for that day. YEAR
In 1908 Colorado Agricultural College beat University of Colorado at Boulder at baseball. The students were celebrating with the cannon.
In 1902 C. Golding-Dwyre was the owner of a walking stick that once belonged to the Honorable W.E. Gladstone, prime minister of England. It was given to Mr. Dwyre by James H. Finch of Fort Collins who used to work on Mr. Gladstone’s Hawarden estate after his return from the Soudan campaign of 1885. While the stick was nothing to look at, it was highly prized by Mr. Dwyre for association’s sake.
In 1902 the city park was beginning to look like a park but it was not going to open to the public this year. Much remained to be done. After the gravel was put on the walks and the shrubbery had another year’s growth, benches would be installed and the gates thrown open to the public.
In 1872 Congress opened abandoned military reservations in “Old Town” to pre-emption homesteading.
In 1903 the Elks broke ground for their new home at the corner of Linden and Walnut Streets. Headed by the band, they marched to the scene of action, each bearing some sort of spade or shovel. While the band played on, the assembled multitude speedily filled several wagons with earth and speeches were made by B.O. Aylesworth, Judges Norvell and Garbutt and Mayor McHugh. Then Mr. Orth sang a song and the line of march was again taken back to the lodge room. Architects Garbutt and Loveland will design the new building. The total cost was to be $21,200, $12,000 of which had already been raised.
In 1908 Fort Collins received $60,000 from the U.S. government for a post office building.
Schools were closed due to no funds for teacher’s wages in 1879.
Gratton Lawder was born on an English ship on the border of France in 1865. She came to Colorado in 1883 and located on the Elkhorn in Larimer County. She was better known as Lady Moon.
In 1879 the first official mayor of Fort Collins was named – Uncle Ben Whedbee. He was a wonderful storyteller, much loved by the children of Fort Collins.
In 1914 the elevator in the State Mercantile Building at south College Avenue and Oak Street (the first in Fort Collins) was placed in service.
In 1881 the Rustic House on the Upper Poudre opened. Built by S.S. Stewart, it was a log two-storied hotel. Mr. and Mrs. John McNabb took over the Rustic in 1885.
In 1893 Frank Collamer was contracted to carry the mail between Fort Collins and Bellvue, via Laporte.
In 1881 LaPorte voted a special tax of 17 mills to provide means for furnishing the new school and fencing the grounds.
In 1881 the Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific Railway Company made application for right of way through Fort Collins.
In 1881 the Larimer County Ditch Company negotiated a loan of $27,360 with the Larimer County Bank.
In 1882 the old post office building on Linden Street was destroyed by fire. The Hirsch Whiskey Depot also sustained damage.
In 1911 the Booster Banquet was held at the Northern Hotel. There were 225 people in attendance.
In 1880 Bolivar S. Tedmon, a New York transplant, formally opened his three-story red brick building at Linden and Jefferson Streets with 50 bedrooms on the second and third floors. The Tedmon House quickly earned the reputation as one of the best hotels in Colorado. In 1903 the rates were $2/day for a room and 3 meals.
In 1904 Fort Collins was devastated by another flood caused by excessive rains. Old timers said it was the worst flood experienced since the memorable flood of 1864. Damage was estimated to be approximately $5 million. The only fatality was G. R. Strauss, (age 73) one of the earliest settlers in the valley. He arrived in the area in 1860. Many homes were destroyed and an organ was even found stranded near the Linden Street bridge. Dogs were on driftwood, cats were stranded in trees and chickens were floating on haystacks.
As a result of the Welch Block fire (February 3, 1880), the Hook and Ladder Company was organized in 1880. It was the origin of the first Fort Collins Fire Department. Fire fighting in town had previously been done by impromptu bucket brigades and it continued to be operated by volunteer firemen until 1913 when the paid department was formed. Hydrants soon followed the development of the Waterworks. The company’s first home ws the original City Hall on Walnut Street.
In 1870 in the hall over the Old Grout building, Deputy Grand Master O.H. Henry duly instituted a Mason lodge. Officers were installed and Fidelity Lodge under disposition was declared organized and ready for business.
In 1905 the Weekly Courier proclaimed, “Prairie Dogs Must Go!” The Cattle and Horse Growers’ Association declared war against the little rodent, claiming that it was a pest through its habit of excavating the ground on the prairies for villages, many cattle losing their lives annually through broken legs. The government was going to be asked to aid in the extermination.
In 1905 Edith Simpson opened a manicure and hair dressing parlor on North College Avenue. She showed the ladies of Fort Collins a full line of hair goods, pompadours, switches, bangs, etc. There were also private baths for the ladies.
Moving pictures with 47,000 exposures of the San Francisco earthquake disaster were shown at the Opera House in 1906. The production was a benefit for the Fireman’s Monument Fund.
In 1884 a gang of tramps broke into the railroad station at noon while the station agent was at dinner, broke into the money drawer and stole $15 in cash.
In 1881 the Larimer County Ditch Company was incorporated. The incorporators were: A. L. Emigh (president), Noah Bristol (secretary), F. C. Avery (treasurer), Edgar Avery, N.C. Alford and William H. Avery.
The Gentleman’s’ Driving Club met in City Hall and completed arrangements for their first matinee. It was held on the track at the old fairgrounds on May 30th, 1904. A track committee had been appointed to erect stables and seats for the public. The speed wagon rule was suspended for the occasion, allowing sulkies to be used. The Fort Collins band was engaged.
In 1904 the county commissioners awarded a contract to Roller and Sons for the construction of a combination span ridge over the North Poudre at the Craddock Ranch near Livermore. The contract price was fixed as $1,279.
Dr. E. G. Bristol opened an office in the Old Grout Building in 1881.
In 1831 Thomas Fitzpatrick formally adopted a deserted 6-year old Indian child and dubbed him Friday (the day of the week the adoption was final). Friday later joined his own people and became a skilled hunter and warrior.
In 1894 the State Agricultural College held its eleventh commencement and Fort Collins High School held its fourth annual commencement exercise.
In 1898 Dr. A. W. Killgore was appointed county physician for a salary of $100 per year.
In 1902 the Larimer County Fruit and Honey Association and Larimer County Marketing Association were consolidated under the name Larimer County Fruit, Honey and Marketing Association and their office was just north of the C & S passenger depot. The association was going to handle all kinds of fruit, honey and vegetables.
In 1894 the paper reported that the house miller was getting to be a fearful menace in Larimer County. “They enter every crack and crevice and upon the opening of doors will fill the house full of sputtering insect life and they are never quiet until they become incinerated in the lamp chimney.”
In 1903 the high school commencement was held at the Opera House.
The new Town Board of Trustees passed the towns first Ordinance in 1873, relating to buildings and chimneys. Ordinance No. 2, passed the same day, prohibited the granting of licenses for the sale of wines and liquors. Unpaid town warrants drew 12% interest.
In 1882 Honorable L.R. Rhodes, sole owner of the Courier Publishing Company, who added a power press to the plant the previous month, commenced issuing a daily edition of the paper with George Caldwell as managing editor. H.F. Sturdevant, a partner, moved to Denver and Ansel Watrous purchased his interest. He discontinued the daily edition.
The 12th annual graduating exercises of the Fort Collins High School were held in 1902. The body of the church was comfortably filled with an audience that listened to Petty’s orchestra and the Fort Collins quartette which furnished acceptable music. The rostrum and choir stalls were decorated with potted plants, bull rushes and the colors of the graduating class. From the chandelier in the vault of the church were also suspended long bands of the class colors. However, it was rather odd and amusing that the theme of the evening was “Ideals of Manhood” when the entire graduating class consisted of young women. (year)
Decoration Day was celebrated in the city in 1903. There was a parade down the city streets. Myron Akin also reported in his diary entry on this date that President Roosevelt was visiting Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming.
In 1905 fire broke out in the College Panitoria in the Welch Block on College Avenue. The building was completely gutted and three businesses wiped out before the fire could be controlled. The fire originated from an explosion resulting from an attempt by Mrs. Kramer, wife of the proprietor of the tailor shop, to charge a lighted stove. Entire loss was estimated to be around $10-11,000.
In 1906 a Memorial Day Parade was held at Grandview Cemetery. Headed by the College band, the city was celebrating the memory of the past.
Stokes Anthony Bennett, city editor of the Weekly Courier, wrote a new song in 1906 entitled, The Toast.
Decoration Day in 1908 was celebrated with a dinner at Bingham Hill.
Birthdate of Arthur H. Patterson (b. 1844), a devoted developer in early Fort Collins. In 1888 a new show home was built on Loomis Avenue which was to be raffled off. Anyone who bought a lot in this early subdivision was eligible for the prize. The drawing took place in the Opera House, the winner a Nebraska resident named Mr. J. M. Fillebrown. He sold the home to Arthur Patterson a few months later. Patterson served as city alderman, clerk of the district court and as Larimer County clerk. In the 1870’s his influence was felt in the building of the town ditch. He gave 80 of the 240 acres comprising the original campus and was instrumental in planting trees along College Avenue. He died in Fort Collins on December 27, 1892.
In 1881 Chief Friday died of heart disease and was buried in a grave near the Wind River Reservation. His understanding of the white man’s culture and language helped him to maintain peace between the two cultures.